The Start of my Journey into the Past.


A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)


I started my journey to find out about my family tree quite by accident even thought all kinds of history have always fascinated me. I had agreed to accompany a friend to a computer learning class to keep her company and upon arrival we found the date had been changed to the following week rather then have a wasted journey the course supervisor asked if we would like to sit in on the genealogy course that had just started. I found it so interesting that the following week my friend and I parted company at the school, she to her computers and me to the family history class, and I have been hooked ever since.

This all happened a few months after my mother died and it suddenly dawned on me how many questions I really wanted to ask her, but I found that she and my grandmothers had been the keepers of family papers and I lay claim to a rich collection of certificates, photos and bibles to help me in my new found hobby. I think I have been very lucky to have got as far as I have with my family tree in such a relatively short period of time. It really was a mixture of good fortune that the female members of my family kept so many things, the help of my remaining family in my quest for knowledge, plus a couple of very kind people on the Genes Reunited web site who helped me when I thought I had reached a dead end with my research and gave me new leads to chase and finally the Internet which has made my family research so much easier then it would have been in the past. Being a night owl I have also found this the ideal hobby to do in the early hours of the morning when everyone else is asleep.

Now I seem to be accumulating a nice collection of names and dates of my ancestors, but I realize that there were much more to them then this brief information. So now I really want to find out as much as I can, about what their daily life was like and hopefully I might being to get to know them a bit better, these ancestors of mine.

Comments

Popular Posts